What to Do if Your Dog Eats a Dangerous Amount of Chocolate?

Dogs don’t usually know what is good or bad for them. This is especially true for anything that smells sweet to her. Chocolate is poisonous for dogs, even though dogs love chocolate’s sweet taste.

This article will explain why chocolate is bad and what you should do if your dog eats chocolate

Why is chocolate bad for dogs?

Chocolate is dangerous for dogs because it contains theobromine, an alkaloid chemical. Although the majority of theobromine can be found in cocoa plants, it can also be found in tea leaves or in cola nuts.

Dogs are not able to metabolize theobromine like humans. It affects the heart, kidneys, and central nervous system.

Caffeine in chocolate can also raise blood pressure and cause cardiac arrhythmias. Caffeine can also cause vomiting, loss of muscle control, seizures, or tremors.

How Much Chocolate Is Too Much?

Chocolate will be more tolerable for larger dogs. A small dog can be killed by even the slightest amount of chocolate.

Because milk chocolate contains fewer cocoa beans than dark chocolate, it is easier to tolerate. However, dogs who ingest more than half an ounce of milk chocolate per day could be at risk of poisoning.

Also Read:   Why does my dog eat guinea pig poop?

The dangers of dark or semisweet chocolate are much greater and can cause poisoning if consumed in excess of 0.13 ounces per kilogram. Ingestion of baker’s chocolate can lead to poisoning. This should be treated as an emergency.

Complications are more likely in dogs with underlying medical conditions, or who are very young or old.

What are the Clinical Signs Of Chocolate Poisoning?

Chocolate poisoning symptoms in dogs usually appear between six and twelve hours after eating chocolate. They can last up to seventy-two hours. These are the symptoms:

  • Chocolate toxicity can cause vomiting. This is a good sign because it helps to rid the dog’s body from toxic chemicals.
  • Diarrhea
  • Urethrination has increased
  • Tremors
  • Restlessness
  • An abnormal or elevated heart rate
  • Seizures
  • Collapse
  • Death

Even if your dog does not show any symptoms of chocolate poisoning it is still important to contact your veterinarian for advice and recommendations.

How can chocolate poisoning be diagnosed?

Your veterinarian will diagnose chocolate poisoning quickly because time is precious. This will be based on your history and any clinical signs.

What are the Treatments for Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs (

Chocolate poisoning is treatable. Your vet will attempt to stabilize your dog, and then try to manage any symptoms.

Your vet might try to induce vomiting depending on the time since your dog last ate chocolate.

Your vet will administer intravenous fluids and may also prescribe other treatments to treat heart rhythm irregularities, diarrhoea, or vomiting.

Call your vet immediately if your dog is seen eating chocolate. Your vet may recommend that you induce vomiting at home using hydrogen peroxide. However, this should only be done after your vet has instructed you. The following will be advised by your vet:

  • Give your dog small meals. It will be easier for your dog to vomit if she has something in her stomach.
  • For every ten pounds of body weight, give your dog one to two teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide. This solution can be sprayed onto the back of the dog’s tongue with a turkey baster or eye dropper. Within five to ten minutes, the foam will turn into vomiting. You can try again if it doesn’t work the first time. Do not give your dog more than two doses. Your dog may experience uncontrollable vomiting.
  • Salt can cause sodium poisoning in dogs so don’t give it to them.
  • After she vomits, call your vet to get more information. If she hasn’t vomited, call your vet immediately.
Also Read:   Why Does My Dog Keep Pooping on the Carpet?

A pet that is lethargic or sick can experience vomiting. There is also a high risk of aspiration.

What’s the Prognosis For Chocolate Poisoning?

The speed at which treatment is started and how much chocolate your dog ate will determine how well they recover from chocolate poisoning.

Two hours after ingestion is the best time to administer treatment. You must monitor your dog carefully until the symptoms disappear. This can take up to seventy two hours.

According to the ASPCA Poison Control, twenty-five percent recover from chocolate poisoning within two days. However, even with treatment, one hundred dogs who have chocolate poisoning will never recover.

How can you prevent your dog from eating chocolate?

Chocolate toxicity can be prevented by keeping it out of reach of your dog. You can crate-train your dog to make sure she has no access to chocolate when you aren’t there.

Discuss with your family, including your children, the importance of chocolate being kept away from your dog.

Your pet’s safety is your responsibility. You must be extra cautious with foods that could cause death in your pet. If you suspect that she has eaten something strange, call your veterinarian immediately.

Leave a Comment