Dogs aren’t very selective about what they eat. They will eat whatever smells good and not think twice about the consequences. They are usually able digest their food with little difficulty.
This is not always true. Chocolate is poisonous for dogs. However, there are other ingredients that are less well-known. The most common ingredient in gum and peanut butters is xylitol.
Xylitol can be used as a food additive or sugar substitute. There have been no adverse effects in humans. However, dogs can experience hypoglycemic reactions that could lead to liver failure.
This article will explain what to do if your dog chews gum
- What should you do if your dog eats gum?
- What Are the Symptoms Of Xylitol Poisoning?
- Is Xylitol dangerous?
- How can Xylitol poisoning be diagnosed in dogs?
- How can Xylitol poisoning be treated?
- What are the Recovery and Prognosis for Xylitol Poisoning in the Future?
- How can you prevent your dog from eating gum
What should you do if your dog eats gum?
You should find out the type of gum your dog ate as well as its ingredients. Your dog could get upset if the gum contains sugar without xylitol. An intestinal blockage could occur so be sure to keep an eye on your dog.
Dogs suffering from intestinal blockage may experience drooling and vomiting. They also might have a lack of appetite, abdominal pain, and nausea. If your dog has eaten gum, you should contact your vet immediately. An intestinal blockage can be fatal if it isn’t treated.
If the gum was sugar-free, but not containing xylitol (sorbitol and aspartame are safe for dogs), then the only possible problem you might see is intestinal blockage.
Your vet should be contacted if your dog has consumed gum containing xylitol. Your vet might recommend that you induce vomiting at home using a three percent hydrogen peroxide solution if the dog has eaten gum containing xylitol within the past half hour. This should only be done under the supervision of your vet. Dog owners might not be comfortable with this, or may find it difficult to incite vomiting. If this is the case, it’s important to rush your dog to the vet before the time limit expires.
You can bring your dog to the veterinarian if it’s been over 30 minutes since the dog ate the gum or if you are unsure when it happened. Your dog’s prognosis is better if he gets veterinary care as soon as possible.
What Are the Symptoms Of Xylitol Poisoning?
Symptoms of xylitol poisoning can occur quickly in dogs – usually within 15 to 30 minutes after they are consumed. This is a sign of xylitol poisoning in dogs.
- Inadequate coordination
- Standing or walking is difficult
- Liver failure
Is Xylitol dangerous?
Unchewed gum can contain enough xylitol for a small dog of ten pounds to make it toxic. Chewn gum may contain less xylitol. Because of the difficulty in determining how much sugarless gum a dog has chewed, it is difficult to know how much. However, one piece of gum or breath mint can contain between 0.22 and 1.0 grams of the sugar substitute.
Hypoglycemia can be caused by 50 mg of xylitol in dogs per pound. When you bring your dog to the vet, make sure you have the label and wrapper.
How can Xylitol poisoning be diagnosed in dogs?
Your vet will diagnose xylitol poisoning if your dog eats something that contains xylitol. This is especially important if your dog shows signs of hypoglycemia. Your vet will quickly diagnose the toxicity and begin treatment.
How can Xylitol poisoning be treated?
There is no cure for xylitol poisoning in dogs. However, intravenous fluids and liver protective drugs, as well as sugar supplementation, can be helpful. To reverse toxic effects and prevent serious complications from occurring, it is important to get prompt and aggressive treatment.
To determine the extent of toxicity in your dog’s body, your vet will perform a blood glucose and potassium test. Your dog will need to stay in hospital for treatment of xylitol poisoning. To ensure that blood sugar and liver function remain normal, your vet will regularly monitor your dog’s blood work.
What are the Recovery and Prognosis for Xylitol Poisoning in the Future?
Dogs that are treated before clinical signs of poisoning appear, have a good chance of recovery. The chances of your dog regaining full health are good if the hypoglycemia is not complicated and can be reversed quickly. If the dog is suffering from liver failure, bleeding disorders, or is in a coma, the chances of a full recovery are low.
How can you prevent your dog from eating gum
You should ensure that your pet is not exposed to products containing xylitol. Products such as toothpaste and mouthwash can also contain xylitol. You can find xylitol in some foods, including baked goods, drinks powders, candy and syrups, as well as peanut butter, ketchup, syrups, syrups, and ketchup. Xylitol is also found in some clothing such as sports shirts.
You should not share food with your dog without carefully reading the label.