What Happens if My Dog Eats Nail Glue?

You’re doing your nails and then you hear someone knocking at your door. You put your nail glue on the floor and you answer the door. When you return you realize you’ve found that the pet has eaten the nail glue.

You’re more worried about your dog than nails that aren’t finished. Do nail glues harm them? Are they safe?

What happens when my dog eats nails?

Unfortunately, nail glue may cause some health issues for your dog. How much risk your pet is in will depend on the amount of food they consumed or ate, their size, and overall health.

Ingredients in Nail Glue

The ingredients of nail glue include ethyl cyanoacrylate, BHA, citric acid and hydroxypropyl methacrylate.

Ethyl Cyanoacrylate

Ethyl cyanoacrylate is a constituent in many glues, such as super glue. It can be an irritating aggressor. If it’s swallowed or enters the dog’s mouth, it may cause severe irritation to their mouths and stomach.

BHA

Unexpectedly, BHA is a commonly used chemical in cosmetics. It has been known to cause allergic reactions and immune system disorders or organ damage. It increases the risk of developing cancer. may affect the brain and immune system.

It’s not known the amount of BHA is harmful to dogs. In small quantities, the dog will be safe. If they eat an excessive amount this is a problem.

Citric Acid

Citric acid is not harmful. However, it is extremely acidic and may cause irritation to the pet’s skin and digestive tract.

Hydroxypropyl Methacrylate

Hydroxypropyl Methacrylate is yet another irritating chemical. Much like citric acid, it’s not toxic, however, it can cause irritation and discomfort.

Stomach Irritation and Upset

If your pet consumes nail glue there’s a fair chance that they’ll suffer stomach discomfort. However, this doesn’t mean it’s the toxicity of the substance.

However, it’s typically the result of stomach irritation. The substances in nail glue may upset the digestive tract and stomach which could lead to vomiting and diarrhea.

Your pet may need an unfussy diet and stomach medications to relieve stomach upsets that is caused by glue.

Also Read:   Is it OK for dogs to eat raw chicken bones?

Mouth Irritation or Injury

Your dog may also be afflicted with mouth irritation or even injury due to chewing on nail glue. Like the stomach or mouth, it can also become irritated due to the chemical compounds found in nail glue.

You might notice the mouth of your dog is red. They might also complain of a whine during eating or may not like to consume food. This is due to eating being uncomfortable when your mouth is dry.

If you’ve ever experienced an infection or toothache you’re aware of how it is for your pet.

Another concern that your dog might face when eating nail glue is it could seal their mouths. It can be a terrifying situation for both you and your pet.

Bowel Obstruction

If your dog consumes glue, it absorbs it in form of liquid. Once it is in your dog’s digestive system it may turn into the form of a solid mass. Imagine glue once it’s dried. It is then solid.

When it is solidified it may cause intestinal obstruction. The blockage may be total or partial. A partial blockage allows some waste or food to move through. A complete blockage will not let anything pass through the system.

The signs of bowel obstruction include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. It is possible that they also feel hungrier and fatigued, lethargy and the inability to poop.

What do I take if my pet is eating the nail glue?

If your dog is eating nail glue there are a few actions you must take. The majority of dogs be able to recover from eating the nail glue without long-term issues, but some might require veterinary attention.

Remove the Glue

The first, and most obvious step is to eliminate all access to nail glue. This will keep the dog’s stomach from consuming any the glue. Make sure you place it in a location where your dog isn’t able to reach the glue.

Check Their Mouth and Airway

It’s possible for your dog’s mouth could get sealed when they consume nail glue. Make sure you check your dog’s mouth. If the mouth opens take a look. Check to see if there’s a massive amount of glue inside the mouth.

It is important to also be aware of the breath of your child. You should ensure that they aren’t struggling to breathe, as this could indicate airway obstruction.

When their mouths are stuck to their lips or their airway blocked, take their pet in to the veterinarian right away.

Also Read:   What happens if you put human perfume on a dog?

Give Water

It’s important to ensure that your pet is drinking water right away in the event that their mouth isn’t closed. This could help ease the discomfort that is caused by glue.

Contact A Professional

Once the first actions have been accomplished and you’re ready to move on, it’s best to seek out professional assistance to deal with the issue. There are two choices. The first is to contact your pet’s veterinarian.

They will inquire about the glue as well as how much you believe your dog consumed. Then, they’ll tell you if they think you need to monitor your dog’s diet or bring them in to be evaluated.

Another option is to reach out to poison control for animals. They’ll ask you questions about your dog’s health, age size, health, and size, as well as the glue they consumed. They’ll then give you advice about the next steps to do.

If they suggest veterinary treatment They can collaborate with your doctor to develop the best treatment strategy. There’s a charge for the treatment, however, it is less costly than a vet’s charge.

Monitoring Your Dog

If your pet doesn’t require immediate vet attention The following step would be to keep an eye on their health. Some digestive upset, including vomiting and diarrhea, is common after ingesting nail glue.

If symptoms are serious the patient should visit the vet. You must also be on the lookout for other indicators of toxicity. This includes weakness, fatigue and trouble breathing.

If your dog is feeling sick It’s best to have the vet check them out. Be aware of your instincts. If you’re concerned you are, it is best to stay cautiously.

Treating Digestive Upset

If your dog is suffering from slight digestive issues It is possible to treat it at your home. This can be done with prescription medications and a simple diet.

The blandest and most delicious diet is just boiled rice and chicken. Give 2 portions of rice for everyone part chicken. If you give them 1 teaspoon of their food provide them with 2/3 of 1 cup of rice, as well as 1/3 of a cup of chicken.

After a few days gradually return them to the normal diet. Start by feeding them a quarter of regular food, and then give them 3/4 bland food. Every day for a period of 1 to 2 days takes their normal food by 1/4 until they eat what they eat.

Also Read:   Does My Great Dane Love Me?

Famotidine is a great option in this scenario. It’s an anti-inflammatory that can aid in calming the irritation of your pet’s stomach. Offer them .5 mg for every pound of body weight.

A dog of 10 pounds would receive the equivalent of 5 mg of Famotidine as an example. It is possible to repeat the dosage every 12 hours if you need to.

Peptop Bismol is also helpful. It coats stomachs and helps soothe them. Do give your dog 1 teaspoon for every 10-pounds of weight. Repeat the dosage every 6-8 hours.

How do I prevent my pet from not eating the glue on his nails?

The best method to stop your dog from chewing on nail glue is to stop it from happening. Dogs are ingenuitive and they’re also curious. Nail glue is likely to be not something you imagine your dog would like to consume.

Remember, they are exploring the world using their mouth and nose. This is why it’s understandable that they’d consume food that isn’t appealing, in order to comprehend what the essence of the food is.

Keep It Out of Reach

The best way to keep your pet from consuming nail glue is to keep it out of reach. Pet proofing your house is like babyproofing. Place anything they don’t need to consume, like nail glue in a location they won’t be able to access.

The easiest method to do this is to put it on a tall shelf. The dog cannot reach a stool, therefore any item that is higher than their height is considered to be safe.

Don’t Leave It Unattended

Don’t leave the nail glue in the open. When you’re working your nails, do not walk away from the glue while your dog is present. They could take advantage of the chance to consume the glue.

Keep Them Entertained

In the end, having them entertained will aid in preventing them from engaging in dangerous things. Dogs who are bored can find a way to keep themselves entertained. Make sure that they have plenty of physical and mental stimulation.

Walking sessions, playtime, as well as puzzle toys, are fantastic methods to ensure that your dog is healthy, happy, and amused.