What Happens if A Dog Eats a Cherry Pit?

Cherries are a great source of nutrition for human beings. They are rich in antioxidants. They may reduce inflammation and improve sleep. But just because something is beneficial for us does not mean that it’s good for our pets.

Unfortunately, cherries do pose some risks for dogs.

What happens when the dog eats a cherry pit?

You’re enjoying a few cherries when you notice your dog sneaking a cherry. You stare in awe as they bite the cherry, and then swallow it.

Dogs might not be known for being fruit lovers, however, they are. I found this out for myself after my dog was able to help themselves to an apple that is poisonous to their health!

The positive side is that one cherry is not likely to cause your dog any significant harm. However, there are certain hazards that you need to know about.

Upset Stomach

The most common issue your dog might experience after eating a pit of cherry may be an upset stomach. This isn’t due to the fact that the cherry or pit is poisonous. It’s because the digestive system of people isn’t used to it.

Stomach upsets can be caused by diarrhea and vomiting. A simple stomach upset isn’t one to worry about. However, the signs and symptoms of stomach discomfort are also some of the signs of poisoning by cyanide.

If your pet exhibits symptoms of diarrhea and vomiting be sure to keep a check for other symptoms of poisoning with cyanide. If stomach discomfort is the sole symptom your pet is healthy. But any other indications suggest that you seek urgent veterinary attention.

Cyanide Poisoning

You’ve probably encountered cyanide in the form of a murder mystery or television show. It’s a naturally occurring substance however, it’s not one we are aware of coming in regular contact with.

The pits of cherries are contaminated with Cyanide. It is possible that you have eaten cherries the entirety of your life, not aware that the pits are harmful. Naturally, we do not take in the pits of the cherries, which is why it’s not an issue.

The good news is that a single pit of cherry isn’t enough to trigger cyanide poisoning. Furthermore, pits have to be broken in order to release cyanide. Thus, unbroken pits aren’t a risk at all.

Of course, it’s worrying if your dog consumes cherries pits. Even if it’s just one, you’ll have been on the lookout for indicators of poisoning with cyanide.

In the end, cherries are the primary source of cyanide poisoning in dogs. They pose a major danger to your dog in the event of their consumption.

Symptoms of Cyanide Poisoning

The signs of cyanide poisoning may be noticed within 15 minutes to several hours after your dog consumes cherries pits. A rapid heartbeat and increased excitement are the most common signs. After that, excessive drooling vomiting, eyes that are watery, and diarrhea are common. Spasms in the muscles are also typical.

The gums and mucus membranes change to bright red. In time, they’ll turn blue when your pet’s condition gets worse. Convulsions, seizures, and death can happen after ingestion of the poison cyanide.

It usually happens quickly. If your dog is alive for two hours following the beginning of symptoms there is a good chance of being able to recover. Most deaths occur in the initial hour after symptoms start.

Bowel Obstruction

An intestinal obstruction could be caused by pits of cherries. The pits of cherries are tiny and therefore, a blockage is difficult. But it’s not difficult. Smaller canines tend to have smaller digestion tracts and are more at the chance of suffering. But even a big dog could suffer from an obstruction of the bowel.

Signs of a bowel blockage can appear within 24 to 48 hours following having consumed the substance. The symptoms are vomiting diarrhea, nausea, and trouble getting up. Insomnia or weakness, as well as constipation, can also be a sign.

What do I do if my dog has eaten an apple pit?

If your dog is eating the pit of a cherry Don’t be afraid. There are ways to aid your dog in the incident.

Remove Cherries

The first step is to ensure that your dog doesn’t have access to further cherries. If you find any cherries or pits in your dog’s reach Remove them as soon as you can. Make sure they’re in a location that your dog cannot reach.

Assess the Situation

It is the next thing to do: analyze the situation. Did your dog have a bite of a cherry pit? Several? Half an entire bag? Note down the number of cherries you believe they consumed, as well as the date.

This will aid you with the steps to follow.

Call a Professional

It is recommended to contact an expert in this case. Cyanide poisoning could make your dog extremely sick or even cause death very quickly.

You have two options when it comes to getting a professional’s advice. The first is to consult your vet. They’ll probably suggest that you take your pet in to be treated even if they’ve consumed only one pit of cherry.

If you’re looking for an objective professional opinion, you can contact an opinion from a professional. Call the Pet Poison Helpline. They have a vast database of toxic substances and a formula for determining the level of risk in a particular situation.

They will ask how many pits of cherries your dog has eaten, their weight, age and health condition. They will then develop an appropriate treatment strategy. If they recommend veterinary treatment they will work with your veterinarian to treat your pet.

Inducing Vomiting

You might be advised to induce vomiting by your veterinarian or poison control. If you’re confident in performing this task yourself, then that’s also an alternative. If you do get your pet to vomit, they’ll be able to eliminate the dangerous cherry pits before they’ve caused serious harm.

Don’t induce vomiting in your pet if it is throwing up, is weak or agitated or is in a state of unconsciousness.

For a vomiting-inducing method, All you require is hydrogen peroxide and an approach to inject this into the dog. A turkey-shaped baster or a medicine Syringe works well. Give your pet one teaspoon of peroxide for every 5 pounds in body mass. Limit it to 3 tablespoons in the case of large breeds.

The vomiting should start after 15 minutes. If it’s been 30 mins without vomiting, you may repeat the dosage.

When to Seek Emergency Care

If your dog shows signs of serious disease or cyanide poisoning such as blue or red muscles, gums that are swollen or excessive drooling with stomach pain It is imperative to seek out urgent medical attention from a veterinarian.

The vet can provide treatments that help reverse the effects of poisoning with cyanide. This includes oxygen therapy and the b-12 treatment. The b-12 administered by a vet is different than the one found that is found in vitamins, so be sure not to try to treat your pet at home.

If they are able to make it through the initial hours following eating the pits of cherry without any symptoms, you don’t need to be concerned about poisoning with cyanide. But an obstruction in the bowel is still a worry.

Watch your dog over the next few days, and especially the movements of the bowel. If they’re passing things in a normal manner, they’ll be fine.

How do I keep my pet dog from eating cherries?

It’s much simpler to stop your dog from eating cherries instead of treating the pits for poisoning with cyanide. The good thing is that once you’re conscious of the dangers it’s easy for you to secure the cherries from your dog’s reach.

“Seedless” Cherries

Unfortunately, there aren’t true seedless cherries. However, Bing cherries contain very tiny seeds. It is believed that the tiny seeds are lesser cyanide risks than bigger pits of cherries.

If you’re looking for an animal that is curious then you might prefer this kind of cherry.

Maraschino cherries are processing, and therefore they aren’t pet-friendly either. They remove it during the process of making the cherries. But they’re stuffed with sugar syrup and don’t make an ideal pet treat.

Dried Cherries

Dry cherries are able to have pits removed during the process. They’re not harmful to your pet. In fact, they could provide advantages to your health and your dog.

Be careful not to overdo it. Give a small dog a few small dried cherries. Larger dogs could possess a little more. Begin by giving dogs of any size just two or three, then increasing the amount gradually.

Cherry Pits

If you’re eating cherries, make sure to keep the pits and the cherries themselves away from your dog. Do not leave cherries out of reach of your pet to prevent them from accidentally chomping on them.

Cherry Trees

The pits in the cherry aren’t only poisonous. The leaves and branches of the cherry tree also contain the chemical cyanide. If you own a cherry tree, it is not recommended to allow your dog to be near it. It is possible to restrict your dog by using an electric fence or cable tie or even putting an enclosure around the cherry trees.

Alongside the tree itself, make certain that the fallen fruit isn’t in your pet’s reach.

Alternatives and Substitutions

If you’d like to keep the possibility of cherries being a consideration for your four-legged loved one, or, at minimum cherries that have any kind of pit there are other options.

Cherry juice can substitute for canned cherries or filling for cherry pie in recipes.

If you are looking to reap the health benefits of cherries, look into buying the juice of cherries. Pure cherry juice is a great method to reap those health advantages of cherry juice in a concentrated manner.

Your pet may also benefit from small quantities of cherry juice. It’s best to introduce it slowly and be careful with your dosage.